Physical fitness and exersise benefits of Taekwon-Do.
The study of Taekwon-Do offers unique advantages to the physical fitness of the student. No doubt one of life’s most treasured assets is good health! Therefore, one of the great cardinal sins of mankind is to abuse this asset. Wealth, power, fame and the blessing of physical beauty are all relatively unimportant if one does not possess good health.
Taekwon-Do is effective for health and well being because unlike many fitness programmes, it is stimulating because of the learning aspect and goal oriented with the belt grading system. Taekwon-Do will also indirectly affect your life habits such as making you want to get fit with external methods as well in order to improve your performance. Habits such as smoking & unhealthy eating have also been changed for the better by many students, in order to improve their Taekwon-Do.
The typical training session, involves extensive movements of the entire body, raises the pulse and oxygen characteristics of the heart and lungs over an extended period. This increased ventilation is termed an aerobic effect and provides the following benefits:
1. Helps the lungs operate more efficiently.
2. Enlarges the blood vessels, making them more pliable and reducing resistance to blood flow, thus lowering the diastolic blood pressure.
3. Increases the blood supply, especially red blood cells and haemoglobin.
4. It makes the body tissue healthier in supplying it with more oxygen.
5. It conditions the heart, providing more reserve for emergencies.
6. It promotes better sleep and waste elimination.
The training tends to normalise body weight, in that it results in a gain of solid tissue for the under weight and a loss of body fat for the overweight. The estimated calorie consumption for a vigorous Taekwon-Do workout is about 6 hundred calories per hour or more depending on the class.
Taekwon-Do offers a super means of developing the characteristics of good performance in other sports:
1. Muscular strength (spend a lot of time with anaerobic fitness)
2. Dynamic energy – the ability to throw oneself into performance with vigour.
3. Ability to change the direction of movement
4. Agility – the ability to move the body quickly from one place to another